The Moraga Drive Residential Historic District is located within the western portion of Bel Air. The district is comprised of 42 single-family residences on either side of Moraga Drive, bounded by Bellagio Road to the south and Moraga Estates to the north. The surrounding streets are similarly curving and frequently end in cul-de-sacs, following the topography of the area. The district is mostly comprised of one and two story single-family residences in the American Colonial Revival, Cape Cod, Traditional Ranch, and Contemporary Ranch styles.
In addition to the houses, the district is further characterized by the relatively wide street, historic street lamps, mature sycamore trees, and lack of sidewalks. The lots within the district are irregularly shaped, but each house has a consistent setback from the street, leaving room for a lawn or garden and a driveway that leads to a typically attached garage. All of the residences in the district are consistent in their massing and scale, with generally rambling, irregular plans.
The Moraga Drive Residential Historic District is significant as an excellent, intact concentration of post-war houses in Bel Air. The district is part of the seventh expansion of the original Bel Air subdivision. The period of significance for the district begins in 1939, the year the expansion was platted, to 1961, the year the most recent contributor was constructed. Originally, the tract extended a mile up Moraga Drive and included portions of Bellagio Drive east and west of Moraga; however, these areas do not retain sufficient integrity to be included within the district boundaries.
Other Streets in The Moraga Drive Neighborhood include Spiros Dr and Spiros Pl.
Surrounding Bel Air Communities