Fremont Place. Touted as “sightly and exclusive” well before plans had been announced for construction of prestige residences, this subdivision was announced in 1911 when an article in the Los Angeles Times designed to create interest in the tract, described its elaborate gates. “There will be four of these gateways - one at each intersection of the north and south drives. Each gateway will be of granite construction 76 feet in width and 18 feet in height.
Prior to 1913, the city expanded to the southwest and northwest, but the district along Wilshire Blvd. remained virtually undeveloped. At the time, Wilshire had a rutted, two-lane dirt road lined with fences and eucalyptus trees. The Pacific Electric Railway built carlines along Wilshire Blvd and development of residential areas, including Fremont Place.
Agents for the tract, which contained less than 50 home-sites, were the Charles B Ingram Co, David Barry & Co, George H Briggs and S R Barry. They were competing with the RA Rowan Company, who were representing the Windsor Square development.
Employing the best engineers and landscape architects, the developers created the tract with beautiful landscaping and broad, winding drives. The first home was built in Fremont Place in 1915. Fremont Place’s homes exemplify the best period architecture and the residents have maintained the neighborhood as it was intended.
Fremont Place boundaries are Muirfield Rd and Lucerne Blvd between Wilshire and Olympic boulevards.