Oxford Square is located in Mid Wilshire between Pico & Olympic Blvd and comprises both Victoria Ave and S Windsor Blvd.
A little Oxford Square history....
When West Adams was first being settled, some considered the location too distant from the city center, where the grand Victorian homes clustered on Bunker Hill. In 1896, the city of Los Angeles officially expanded with its western & southern addition annexation, which incorporated the Victorians that had been built along Pearl/Figueroa, Grand and East Adams. It was the introduction of the streetcar that was paramount to the growth and expansion of Los Angeles, as the young city began spreading further outward from its downtown core at the beginning of the 20th century.
Oxford Square was first laid out in 1907 by Emil Firth, a Bohemian immigrant, who came to America in 1874.
Creating wide avenues and large lots, Firth advertised Oxford Spare as a "refined and aristocratic" area and promoted the inclusion of modern conveniences such as ornamental "electroliers" and "wide concrete walks, combination curbs, gutters, and oil tamped streets... all completed and of the very best quality. The prices for these beautiful lots range from $1000 up and terms are extremely easy".
The development that Firth laid out stretched from north Pico to almost Wilshire Blvd. The southernmost area is where many of the earlier homes were built in this new tract, due to their proximity to the Pico Heights Electric Railway. At the beginning of the 20th century, this area had already developed a sense of affluence due to the Los Angeles Country Club in 1899 from near the Rosedale Cemetery to the corner of Western and Pico. This 107 acre site, known at the time as the Pico & Western Links, offered an elegant clubhouse and an 18-hole course that was the very expression of a "gentleman's pastime". Golf was an extremely popular sport at the time and available only to the very privileged. By 1905 "The Links" were relocated yet again, this time further west into Beverly Hills. Eventually this acreage evolved into the residential area we now refer to as Country Club Park.
During the first ten years several grand residences were built in the Arts & Crafts style, taking advantage of the views afforded by the knoll on which they were built. Firth insisted that the houses constructed in Oxford Square were set well back from the street and walkways with their garages only at the back of the property.
The population boom of the 1920s further expanded Los Angeles with more farmland purchased by developers, some of whom were Irish and British immigrants and who chose names for streets and neighborhoods that reminded them of home. Building styles evolved to include many more modest Craftsman homes along with the introduction of "Period Revival" styles that had already been popular on the east coast and were strongly influenced by the new movie industry that was taking root in Hollywood.